This post was sponsored by Ling Ling, all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
The Chinese New Year kicks off this Friday, February 16th, and it will be the year of the Dog. Over the years, my children have been exposed to several different cultures. I like to educate them on how other countries celebrate holidays and traditions. For example, this past weekend we made a delicious Chinese meal and learned more about Chinese New Year customs. We set the dining table with red and gold paper products, ate with chopsticks, and although it’s not technically a Chinese tradition, we also enjoyed fortune cookies after dinner.
We learned about the customs and traditions of the Chinese New Year. Some of our favorite customs were:
- Greeting friends with oranges or tangerines during the New Year to ensure that friendships remain intact. This one was the inspiration for today’s recipe!
- Distributing red envelopes (signifying Joy and Luck) filled with money to start the year with prosperity. My kids perked up when they heard this one.
- Not sweeping on New Year’s Day as you’ll sweep all your good luck out the door. I’m all for taking a day off from sweeping! 😉
Like I mentioned earlier, food was also a big part of our weekend celebration. We decided to make our own version of Orange Chicken and Broccoli to serve with Ling Ling Fried Rice Chinese-Style Vegetable. I also purchased Ling Ling Potstickers which are made with chicken and tender vegetables wrapped in a dumpling. The potstickers come with Ling Ling signature dipping sauce and were ready in just 10 minutes. I love easy meal solutions!
Orange Chicken and Broccoli with Fried Rice
Aside from Ling Ling Chinese-Style Vegetable Fried Rice, you can also purchase the following varieties: Yakitori Chicken, Yakiniku Beef, Thai-Style Chicken and Bibimbap Beef. Ling Ling also offers a line of Ling Ling Fried Rice with five unique dishes based on pure and authentic Asian inspired recipes from Japan, China, Korea and Thailand. Find them at a store near you by clicking here!
We declared this meal a winner and will be adding it to our dinner rotation. My kids also had fun cracking (and eating!) the fortune cookies.
For more delicious recipe ideas make sure to follow Ling Ling on the web, Facebook, and Twitter!
- 1 lb of chicken tenderloins
- 12 ounces of broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 4 teaspoons of brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper flakes
- 1 orange juiced
- zest of one orange
- 2 tablespoons of <g class=”gr_ gr_88 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del” id=”88″ data-gr-id=”88″>corn starch</g>
- 1/4 cup of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 box of Ling Ling Fried Rice Chinese-Style Vegetable
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook in a large skillet until well done.
- Steam broccoli florets and add to cooked chicken.
- Add water, soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, pepper flakes, orange zest and orange juice to a bowl and mix well.
- Add sauce to chicken and broccoli, bring to a boil.
- Mix 1/4 cup of water and corn starch. Add to chicken and broccoli, stir until sauce thickens.
- Serve over Ling Ling Fried Rice.
- Optional: You can add more pepper flakes for a spicy kick.