This delicious whipped coffee recipe is super easy to make and even better to drink. Find out why the world is obsessed with making Dalgona Coffee!
If you’re here, you mostly likely heard about this super popular whipped coffee recipe and decided to check out what the hype is all about. I learned about Dalgona Coffee when my oldest daughter shared a TikTok video of this drink being made. I decided to give it a try and I admit, it’s truly a fun and delicious treat. If you try the recipe, I’d love to hear what you think of it!
If you want the full recipe, you can scroll to the bottom of the page!
What is Dalgona Coffee?
Dalgona Coffee is a Korean style coffee beverage with a milky base and a frothy whipped coffee topping. It is kind of like a cappuccino turned upside down in a mug. The drink became popular when South Korean actor Jung Il-woo ordered it on a TV show called Stars’ Top Recipe. It then went viral on TikTok and the rest is history!
How do I make Dalgona Coffee hot?
If you want to enjoy your beverage hot, warm up some milk on the stove top or microwave making sure it does not reach a boil. Pour the hot milk into a glass and top with the frothed coffee.
How do I make Dalgona Coffee cold?
To make this easy coffee drink cold, fill your glass with milk and top with a layer of the coffee foam. You can also add ice with the milk if you like. Since this drink is quite rich, I like to add ice since I like to enjoy it slowly.
Why won’t my coffee mixture thicken?
- You are trying to whip by hand. For this recipe, the electric mixture will get you thickness you cannot get by using a whisk.
- The quantities are off. Be sure to carefully measure each ingredient. While this recipe can easily be doubled or tripled, you really need to make sure you are measuring out level Tablespoons of each ingredient.
- You need to beat the mixture longer. I know you are excited to try the trend, but be patient. The coffee takes a few minutes to froth and I promise you, it will be worth it!
Dalgona Coffee recipe variations
Once you have mastered the basic Dalgona recipe, it’s super easy to make adjustments to suit your taste. Using simple coffee syrups is an easy way to make this drink caramel, vanilla, hazelnut or mocha flavored. You can also change up the flavor by using flavored instant coffee instead. For a night time treat, try using decaf instant coffee. For an allergen-free alternative, swap the dairy milk for your favorite plant-based alternative.
Have you ever made Dalgona Coffee? Did you like it? I’d love to hear from you!
Dalgona Coffee Recipe – How To Make Dalgona Coffee
- 2 Tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons boiling water
- Optional: Ice
- In a small bowl combine the instant coffee, granulated sugar and boiling water.
- Using an electric mixer, mix on medium speed until the mixture doubles in volume and
forms a soft peak.
- Fill a glass with hot or cold milk and top with the frothy coffee mixture. Serve