Turkey sandwiches are good, but add your own unique twist and you’ll end up with something incredible. This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Unilever. All ideas and opinions are my own.
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. Gathering with family to give thanks and enjoy delicious food, is the perfect way to kick off the holiday season. I also love the day after Thanksgiving as much as the holiday itself. You get to enjoy leftovers without spending the entire day in the kitchen. In our home, we like giving leftovers a creative spin and come up with new recipes. Turkey sandwiches are good, but add your own unique twist and you’ll end up with an incredible sandwich.
I’m a foodie at heart, and my recipes are always influenced by my Latin culture and the flavors I enjoy most. Today’s recipe is one of my latest creations and the perfect example of how a boring turkey sandwich can be reinvented. From the sweet plantains to the Hellmann’s mayonnaise, this turkey sandwich is bursting with flavor. I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we did.
Turkey, Egg and Sweet Plantain Sandwich
1 loaf of bread (Italian or similar)
1 lb. of leftover turkey
1 ripe plantain
1/2 red onion
3 cups of spinach
1/4 cup Hellmann’s mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon of minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel, slice and fry plantain in pan until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil and press down with plate to make it flat. I didn’t use a very ripe plantain (black exterior) because I didn’t want the plantain to be too soft and fall apart inside the sandwich.
2. Cut red onion into slices and sauté in olive oil over medium heat until they caramelize. Add spinach to pan and sauté for additional 5 minutes.
3. Cut lemon in half and squeeze juice from one half into a bowl. Mix in Hellmann’s mayonnaise, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and stir until mixed well.
4. Fry eggs until desired yolk consistency and set aside.
5. Spread mayonnaise mixture on bread, layer with turkey, sweet plantains, fried eggs, red onions and spinach. Drizzle with remainder of mayonnaise mixture. Enjoy!
Doesn’t it look amazing?! It tasted as good as it looks. Speaking of food twists, did you know that Unilever Foods created a webseries called Tu Twist? This fun webseries, hosted on ViveMejor.com, was created to inspire mamás to put a new twist on mealtimes and family occasions. As a busy mom, I need all the inspiration I can get!
Tu Twist is on a mission to fill your belly with food and laughter. Who doesn’t love those two? The series also features several of my own go-to brands that include Hellmann’s and Knorr.
Make sure to catch the 4th #TuTwist webisode online on ViveMejor.com, and follow other recipe twists or share your own by using the hashtag #TuTwist. What twist will you be giving your leftovers this year? I’d love to hear from you!