Delicious and easy to make chicken and cheese empanadas that will be a hit with your loved ones!
Baked Chicken and Cheese Empanadas
I enjoy showing love to my family through food. It doesn’t matter if it’s a simple treat, they always look forward to mom’s creations. As my children get older, I also enjoy sharing recipes from my childhood with them.
I truly believe that every recipe has a story, and food is one of my favorite ways to share my culture with my family. Today’s chicken and cheese empanada recipe is simple yet full of flavor.
What are some of your family’s favorite recipes? As always, I’d love to hear from you!
- 3 cups of cooked shredded chicken
- 1 green pepper
- 1 onion
- 8 ounces of tomato sauce
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cups of yogurt
- 3 tablespoons of sofrito – found in the international products aisle
- Adobo seasoning (or salt & pepper) – same as above
- 12-14 pre-made empanada discs
- Dice the pepper and onion. Heat butter or oil in a pan over medium heat and add vegetables. Saute until the peppers and onions are tender.
- Season shredded chicken with Adobo (or salt & pepper) according to taste preference.
- Add chicken, tomato sauce, sofrito, peppers and onions to pan. Mix ingredients over medium heat.
- Add yogurt and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Mix together until cheese is melted, then remove from the heat.
- Add a tablespoonful of chicken to empanada disc and sprinkle with additional cheese. Seal with a fork by pressing down on the edges.
- Brush empanada with egg white wash and pierce the top once with a fork.
- Bake on lightly greased pan at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.